Our work in Sub-Saharan Africa
A regional overview
We support various types of dialogue spanning high-level political dialogue, civil-society forums, and grass-roots dialogue initiatives.
The Unit furthermore supports the establishment and strengthening of infrastructures for peace in the East Africa region.
- Ethiopia: Supporting multi-track dialogue in Ethiopia
This project supports Ethiopian-led and -owned dialogue efforts on multiple, interconnected tracks, including on the national and sub-national level, and with specific stakeholder groups.
- From female combatants for filmmakers
This project uses documentary filmmaking with female ex-combatants in Colombia and Uganda to show the various ways in which women participate in conflicts as well as their post-conflict experiences.
- Somalia: Strengthening Infrastructures for Peace and Fostering Inclusive Dialogue in Galmudug State
The project seeks to support Infrastructures for Peace (I4P) and raise awareness on the nexus between climate change and conflict.
- Somalia: Supporting Community Peacebuilders and Government Officials to Promote Reconciliation in Hirshabelle State
The project focuses on supporting and empowering local peacebuilders in their efforts to address conflict and support reconciliation in Hirshabelle State.
- Zimbabwe: Insider mediation in Zimbabwe
This project aims to contribute to national efforts for peace and stability in Zimbabwe through the strengthening of local and national capacities for conflict transformation.
- Conflict resolution with Salafi-jihadi groups
The research project examined (de-)escalation trajectories of Salafi-jihadi armed groups and explored options and challenges for conflict resolution.
- Ethiopia: Capacity Development for Local Peace Structures in the Benishangul-Gumuz Region
Working closely with the GIZ and national partners, the project aims to strengthen Local Peace Committees in Benishangul-Gumuz in Ethiopia.
- Ethiopia: Strengthening the Transition and Reform Process
The project focuses on supporting our Ethiopian partners to foster inclusive dialogue on the reform agenda as well as the broader vision for Ethiopia.
- From female combatants to post-war democratic leaders
Using filmmaking as an accessible and evocative research method, female ex-combatants document how they experience reintegration, post-war development and leadership.
- Incremental inclusivity in peace process design
This project analyses the incremental inclusion of non-state armed groups and societal actors during different stages of a peace process.
- Nexus of peacemaking and constitution building
The project examines the intersection of peacemaking – with a focus on mediation – and constitution making, and aims to strengthen cooperation between the two fields.
- Peace Counts
Peace Counts is a unique combination of peace education and peace journalism. It began as an initiative of journalists who travelled to 30+ conflict regions to report about individuals making peace.
- Peace education meets religion
This project aims to strengthen the peace education skills and competencies of religious or religiously motivated multipliers working in the formal and non-formal education sector.
- Security doctrines in a changing world
The project aims to foster global South-North exchange and to better reflect global South perspectives in International Relations theory, by providing insights into modes of South-South cooperation.
- Somalia: Climate security in Somalia
This project focuses on sensitising vulnerable communities to the adverse impact of climate change on peace and security in Beledweyne District.
- Somalia: Supporting Stabilisation of Galmudug State
The project seeks to support the stabilisation of Galmudug through a multi-track approach to dialogue, which supports the cohesion of Galmudug based on the needs of the principal actors.
- Trust-building in security and rule of law partnerships
With this research project, we aim to contribute to the development of a research agenda on the state of trust and trust-building in SRoL partnerships.
Janel B. Galvanek
Head of Department
Mohamud Hassan Abdi
Sharif Abukar Ahmed
Christoph T. Jaeger
Abass Kassim Sheikh
Maria Paula Unigarro Alba
Media and Communications Manager
+49 (0) 177 7052758