Our projects aim at supporting actors and institutions as well as efforts to overcome political and societal divisions through inclusive dialogue processes and consensus-building.
Destructive cycles of exclusion, violence and war have created deep insecurity in the Middle East and North Africa region, exacerbating pressure on the social fabric and fragile political institutions. Extremist groups are exploiting internal divisions to gain ground.
Yet there are numerous voices calling for dialogue, inclusive institutions and locally led approaches to address root causes of violent conflict and radicalisation.
Against this background, our projects aim at supporting these actors and institutions as well as efforts to overcome political and societal divisions through inclusive dialogue processes and consensus-building.
Our work in the region focuses on the following thematic areas:
- Supporting inclusive dialogue formats to strengthen peace and transition processes in the region through mediation and consensus-building support with political parties, armed groups and other conflict stakeholders
- Working with local institutions, religious authorities, academics and youth to contribute to locally-led efforts to strengthen tolerance, pluralism and moderation based on legitimacy and credibility vis-à-vis the rise of extremist discourses
- Supporting the establishment of inclusive governance structures at national and local level
- Supporting local dialogue and faith-based insider mediators
Local religious leaders and scholars play an active role in addressing root causes of radicalisation, promoting religious tolerance, and supporting peaceful coexistence on a local and national level.
- Supporting peaceful settlements in Syria
The project supports a diverse group of independent Syrians in developing conflict resolution options and provides space for dialogue with external powers.
- Supporting social media influencers in Lebanon
This project supports social media influencers to de-escalate social and political tensions and to engage in a dialogue to develop options for a new national vision in Lebanon.
- Strengthening community safety in Yemen
This project aims to strengthen the safety of communities in Yemen through local dialogue.
- Yemen: Strengthening inclusive local governance
The project supports mediation, local consultation, and dialogue in four Yemeni governorates and seeks to include local governance issues in the peace process.
- Yemen Political Dialogue Support Programme
The PDSP supports Yemeni and international efforts for a political solution that provides the basis to end the war, to resume an inclusive political dialogue, and to relaunch the political transition.
- Safety nets against Sunni-Shia polarisation in Lebanon
This project aims to create forums and to establish safety nets which contribute to bridging divides and addressing mutual concerns and fears.
Media and Communications Manager
+49 (0)151 6655 7357