Inclusive local and national-level dialogue in Lebanon
Supporting reform options, vision-building and concrete action for service delivery and social cohesion
The Berghof Foundation and the European Union are cooperating with Lebanese partners in supporting a multi-level dialogue process accompanied by funding for local initiatives.
Timeframe: 2022 - 2023
Against the background of the deteriorating situation in Lebanon, the project aims to contribute to overcoming the multi-layered crisis and building a more peaceful and stable future through supporting local-level stabilization, social cohesion and a (inclusive) future vision for Lebanon. In order to contribute to an inclusive reform discussion and to support concrete initiatives to build trust, foster cooperation in service delivery and support social cohesion, the action has the following three concrete objectives:
- Initiating and facilitating (reform) discussion on a future vision for the county, common values and its political and economic system
- Engaging broader societal groups in cultural and dialogue activities to address (past) misconceptions/ stereotypes and build outreach for an inclusive future vision
- Supporting local level dialogue and cooperation to develop and implement concrete initiatives relating to service delivery, transparency and social cohesion
Dealing with unprecedented economic, financial, and humanitarian crises in Lebanon, requires strengthening relations across social divides including religion, political affiliation, age, and gender. In response, it is crucial to bring together diverse groups through broad societal discussions, community collaboration and planned events to discover one another’s opinions and positions, to share common experiences, and to agree on mutual interests.
Partners and Funders
- The project is funded by the EU Delegation in Lebanon.
- The project is implemented in close cooperation with Lebanese local NGOs, local authorities, and other national agencies and institutions.
The project combines three tracks of intervention on national and local levels.
- Dialogue Format: a high-level dialogue process between influential figures/experts is convened with the aim to discuss a future vision for the country, as well as reform options
- Societal Outreach: community groups are engaged in initiatives and activities to address prejudices, respond to grievances and overcome barriers
- Local Committees: local participatory projects are selected and funded for service deliver and social cohesion, while supporting dialogue, trust, transparency and good governance
Senior Programme Manager, Representative – Beirut office
Maria El Sammak
Media and Communications Manager
+49 (0) 177 7052758