On December 11, 2019, the Berghof Foundation hosted a confidential expert workshop on “Salafi jihadi armed groups – (De)escalation trajectories and dialogue engagement”, with funding and support by the German Foundation for Peace Research and the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.
This workshop aimed to discuss findings and policy implications from a two-year research project based on in-depth interviews with experts and practitioners in/on Mali, Syria and Somalia. It also offered a space for peer-exchange and mutual learning between organisations active in the field of dialogue engagement with Salafi-jihadi armed groups, including governments, international organisations and INGOs.
Discussions addressed questions such as: What are specific ‘ripeness’ factors and entry-points for dialogue with Islamist armed groups, in order to reduce violence or pave the way for a peaceful political settlement? What is the role of ideology and religious-based dialogue in incentivizing behavioural de-escalation? What strategies are helpful in fostering a conducive environment for engagement, while mitigating spoiling behaviour within the (global) Salafi jihadi scene? What are future options for dialogue engagement by local bridge-builders as well as international third parties? This workshop report summarises the content and outcomes of these discussions.
- Dialogue with Salafi jihadi armed groups. Challenges and opportunities for conflict de-escalation
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal, Véronique Dudouet, Marie Migeon. 2019
- Challenges and opportunities for conflict resolution with Salafi jihadi armed groups. Policy brief No. 10
Véronique Dudouet, Karin Göldner-Ebenthal. 2020
- Salafi jihadi armed groups and conflict (de-)escalation. The case of Ahrar al-Sham in Syria
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal, Ahmed Elsayed. 2019
- Salafi jihadi armed groups and conflict (de-)escalation. The case of al-Shabaab in Somalia
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal. 2019
- Salafi jihadi armed groups and conflict (de-)escalation. The case of Ansar Dine in Mali
Tim Jan Roetman, Marie Migeon, Véronique Dudouet. 2019
- Les groupes armés salafi-djihadistes et la (dés)escalade des conflits. Le cas d’Ansar Dine au Mali
Tim Jan Roetman, Marie Migeon, Véronique Dudouet. 2020
Thanks for your interest
If you find this publication useful, please consider making a small donation. Your support enables us to keep publishing.