In the Syrian civil war, the Salafi jihadi armed group Ahrar al-Sham was one of the largest and most powerful non-state armed groups. This report outlines the development of Ahrar al-Sham and explores the conditions that led to its de-escalation and analyses as a second step the role and challenges of dialogue engagement.
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal, Ahmed Elsayed
The report analyses three strategic shifts of de-escalation and the organisational, ideological and external factors that contributed to these shifts. The report then outlines the experiences of third-party dialogue efforts with Ahrar al-Sham, analysing the challenges of such endeavours for third parties but also for Ahrar al-Sham. As a borderline Salafi jihadi armed group that was not terror listed, the report offers valuable insights into the challenges of negotiations with more extreme Salafi jihadi armed groups. In the case of Ahrar al-Sham the main challenges resulted from the internal group dynamics and the rivalry with other insurgents on the Salafi jihadi spectrum.
- Dialogue with Salafi jihadi armed groups. Challenges and opportunities for conflict de-escalation
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal, Véronique Dudouet, Marie Migeon. 2019
- Salafi jihadi armed groups and conflict (de-)escalation. The case of al-Shabaab in Somalia
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal. 2019
- Salafi jihadi armed groups and conflict (de-)escalation. The case of Ansar Dine in Mali
Tim Jan Roetman, Marie Migeon, Véronique Dudouet. 2019
- Les groupes armés salafi-djihadistes et la (dés)escalade des conflits. Le cas d’Ansar Dine au Mali
Tim Jan Roetman, Marie Migeon, Véronique Dudouet. 2020
- Challenges and opportunities for conflict resolution with Salafi jihadi armed groups. Policy brief No. 10
Véronique Dudouet, Karin Göldner-Ebenthal. 2020
- Expert Roundtable on Salafi jihadi armed groups. De-escalation trajectories and dialogue engagement – Workshop report
Karin Göldner-Ebenthal, Véronique Dudouet. 2020
Thanks for your interest
If you find this publication useful, please consider making a small donation. Your support enables us to keep publishing.